This week's beauty is Dr. Cheryl Townsend Winter, who is 61 years old. Cheryl is a retired periodontist who is reinventing herself by writing a book on aging called "The Aging Gracefully Pathway: A Toolkit for the Journey." Cheryl explains that the connection between being a periodontist and writing a book on aging is that structurally the gums are the same as skin and that there are many linkages between gum disease and aging/serious systemic diseases.
Further, Cheryl explains that the major categories of aging are:
- Taking care of the external body: includes skin care, hair, posture, grooming, and figure.
- Taking care of the internal body: includes brain, internal workings, what we eat, how we sleep, rest & relax, and how we exercise the body.
- Taking care of the spirit/soul: includes attitude, aspirations, inspirations, etc.
"The Aging Gracefully Pathway: A Toolkit for the Journey" has over 100 tips but here is a little preview:
- Sugar and refined foods may contribute to Alzheimer’s disease.
- AGE’s (advanced glycation end-products) cause most degenerative diseases and wrinkles.
- Antioxidants from diet play a leading role in preventing age-related diseases.
- Cinnamon reduces blood sugar levels, reduces AGE’s, is anti-bacterial and anti-fungal, and the scent enhances cognitive processing including attention, memory, and visual-motor speed (Ageless Face, Ageless Mind).
- “Training on an empty stomach turns on some interesting genetic machinery that is important not only in fat loss but also longevity.” (The Paleo Solution).
- The spice turmeric has anti-cancer and anti-Alzheimer’s properties. (Ageless Face, Ageless Mind).
Thank you Cheryl for being this week's beauty. I wish you luck with the book. Please stop in and let us know when it is on the shelves.